Staying on GTK/GNOME 3.8 next cycle/for the LTS?

Marc Deslauriers marc.deslauriers at canonical.com
Tue Oct 1 19:32:21 UTC 2013

On 13-10-01 01:45 PM, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> I think we should stick with GNOME 3.8 another cycle, here are the reasons why:

I think this is a great idea, and will give us time to iron out all the current
bugs before the LTS. For one, screen locking is all broken _again_, and really
needs to get fixed before the LTS so Ubuntu can get used in enterprise scenarios.

> - it's a LTS cycle, we should focus on bugs fixing if possible
>
> - GTK 3.10 deprecates several options, it would be good to stay away from those
> controverses for the LTS
> (see https://launchpad.net/bugs/1228886 as an example of what is going to happen
> once we deprecate those options)

We don't have enough time in the GNOME 6 month cycle to properly stabilize it
enough for an LTS release. Staying on 3.8 will give us a chance to catch up.

> - it seems like the next RedHat enterprise edition is going to be based on GNOME
> 3.8, if that's the case it would make sense for us to focus on bringing quality
> to the same version/share the maintainance work a bit

Even better. We'll be helping maintain an older release that someone will
actually care about.

Marc.