Known issues with xorg upgrades from HWE stacks?

Timo Aaltonen tjaalton at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 19 12:02:37 UTC 2013

On 18.11.2013 18:25, Robie Basak wrote:
> I had an issue upgrading a friend's laptop yesterday. Before I
> investigate further and spend time trying to figure out steps to
> reproduce, has anybody else seen this behaviour?
>
> It was installed on 12.04 with the quantal HWE stack. After upgrading to
> 12.10, xorg did not update, and was still on HWE packages. This
> caused X to fail to boot - black screen.
>
> Various xorg packages were on quantal hwe ~precise versions. I asked
> apt-get to lose these (apt-get --purge ...- ...- etc); it suggested
> installing the native quantal versions as a solution to that request,
> and then everything worked.
>
> The laptop has an nvidia graphics card. Everything is on defaults.
>
> I've heard various user stories about graphic stack failure upon
> upgrade. Is this a known thing, and could this be an underlying cause?
> Is this already a known bug?

Upgrading from a HWE backport stack to 12.10 is not supported. You need
to remove the backports first by installing 'xserver-xorg-lts-precise'
which will pull in the original packages and removes the HWE stack.
Upgrades to the next LTS will be supported.

too bad if stock precise fails to work on such hw..