GNOME 3.9 coming to PPA?

Adam Dingle adam at medovina.org
Sat May 18 09:13:13 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 5:05 AM, Tim <darkxst at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 18/05/13 18:47, Adam Dingle wrote:

>>>  You should probably be using jhbuild then.
>>
>> I do use jhbuild as a build helper, but I don't build the whole
>> GNOME 3.9 world with it - I prefer to build only the packages I need
>> and use Ubuntu binaries whenever I can, especially for underlying
>> libraries.  Also, I run everything I've built live on my system all
>> the time rather than in a separate jhbuild testing session.  So I
>> don't want to run a vanilla GNOME GTK 3.9; I want one that actually
>> works with the Ubuntu app menu, for example.
>>
>  So you are running unity then? if so you can expect that to be fixed
> in about 6 months.

I do run Unity (and greatly prefer it to GNOME Shell).

I know that work is underway to enhance GTK so that the Unity app menu
will work without Ubuntu's proxy patch; that's great.  Presumably
that's what you're saying will arrive "in about 6 months".  In the
meantime, I just build GTK+ from git master and apply Ubuntu's proxy
patch myself - that worked fine throughout the GTK 3.8 development
cycle and early into 3.9, but then stopped working recently.  So
presumably the proxy patch would need some changes to work with the
very latest GTK.

adam