GNOME 3.9 coming to PPA?

Adam Dingle adam at medovina.org
Sat May 18 08:51:55 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Tim <darkxst at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 18/05/13 01:43, Adam Dingle wrote:
>> Ubuntu has started lagging one release behind GNOME, which makes
>> things a little tricky for people like me who want to build and run
>> the latest versions (i.e. git master) of various GNOME apps.
>>
>  You should probably be using jhbuild then.

I do use jhbuild as a build helper, but I don't build the whole GNOME
3.9 world with it - I prefer to build only the packages I need and use
Ubuntu binaries whenever I can, especially for underlying libraries.
Also, I run everything I've built live on my system all the time rather
than in a separate jhbuild testing session.  So I don't want to run a
vanilla GNOME GTK 3.9; I want one that actually works with the Ubuntu
app menu, for example.

>> Anyway, so now my questions are
>>
>> - Is there a plan for the GNOME 3 PPA to provide GNOME 3.9 packages
>> for Saucy during this next development cycle?  If so, when might
>> those start to appear, especially a newer GTK?
>>

> Current priority is landing 3.8 packages in saucy. 3.9 on the ppa,
> will probably follow after that is done.

That's great to hear.

>> - If that isn't planned, does anyone out there have a working GTK
>> 3.9 binary for Saucy, perhaps in another PPA?
>>
>  Have you checked ricotz/testing ppa? he has git snapshots of most of
> the gnome stack there.
I hadn't looked there recently - great to see there are a bunch of
packages there.  Whether his GTK 3.9 will actually work with the app
menu is another question - I'll take a look.  Anyway, thanks for the
pointer.

adam