gvfs-fuse

Michael Terry michael.terry at canonical.com
Fri Feb 1 22:50:08 UTC 2013

Is there much reason to install gvfs-fuse by default?  The comment in
the seed is "let non-GNOME apps see GVFS via fuse."

But it causes gvfsd-fuse to run all the time, taking about 700k PSS and
2.7M RSS.

I think non-technical users are not likely to manually be pointing apps
at ~/.gvfs/*.  But fuse also lets apps that ask GIO for a path for a
remote URI be transparently given a ~/.gvfs path.

Do we feel like there are many apps likely to do this that don't declare
a recommends on gvfs-fuse?  Are there any apps likely to do that in the
default install?  Firefox, Thunderbird, and LibreOffice all appear to
talk native GIO these days.

If we do need it for default apps, I imagine it could be made to launch
on demand.

-mt