Pipelight in 14.04LTS?

Scott Ritchie scottritchie at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 22 19:49:49 UTC 2013

Pipelight has been working with upstream Wine to get their patches
there.  But they won't be in a stable release till wine1.8, which will
be some years from now.

In the meantime the PPA actually works by bundling a second, modified
version of Wine only used by pipelight and installed in /opt.  This is
similar to how ported games that embed Wine work.  This is good design
as it prevents underlying changes to the system wine (such as a user
following the Wine PPA) from breaking pipelight, and also a necessary
design as it has to hold their pipelight-specific patches.

A distro package would use a similar approach (although perhaps moving
the wine-compholio from /opt to /usr/lib/wine-compholio), and then
when wine1.8 is released we can evaluate having it just depend on
system wine.