[Desktop13.04-Topic] gnome-control-center

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 28 08:02:12 UTC 2012

Le 28/09/2012 04:18, Jeremy Bicha a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> We discussed at UDS last time splitting off Ubuntu's customizations of
> gnome-control-center into a separate ubuntu-control-center. Are we
> going to do that or is it possible to drop quite a few of the Ubuntu
> patches and allow for a pretty pure experience without a split?
Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for bringing the topic, that was on my list of things to discuss
as well.
Bottom line is that I would like very much to reduce our number of
patches there yes.

> Problems with the Ubuntu patches
> ============================
> - Ubuntu has 46 patches for gnome-control-center 3.4 in Quantal;
> Debian Wheezy has 6.
Yeah, though 10 of those 46 are git*, e.g upstream backports, that's
still quite some patches though.

Upstream took most of our shell grid design changes in 3.6 (bigger
icons, separators, ...) and our new version of the sound panel, I need
to review the list but I think the main offender is our fork of
"background". Do you think that thing like making "update-manager" our
preferred package manager, or changing the default sound theme or adding
an option of "lid close action" are an issue for the GNOME remix? I
would say those are "*buntu" tweaks and fine to have for all flavors.

> - An example of the most extreme patching is the Appearance/Background panel.
> http://bicha.net/img/system-settings-appearance.png
> theirs? It would make the work a lot easier if the Unity-specific
> stuff were moved to a separate panel.
Yes, seeing the new design I think it would make sense to make a new
panel for unity rather than keeping to patch over the background one.
> - A second example is the pointless extra icons next to Personal,
> Hardware, and System which was done wrong so it's broken if you use
> Adwaita or worse, any of the accessibility themes, or almost every
> theme really: http://bicha.net/img/system-settings-adwaita.png
That's going away, the design of the grid screen in 3.6 is close of
ours, I don't intend to keep patches for such minor details (especially
if those create issues like the one you are pointing there)
> - While the specification the Canonical designers created last year to
> redesign System Settings was nice, design work for GNOME stuff really
> needs to be done in GNOME. Otherwise, it becomes a continual headache
> to maintain patches that further diverge from GNOME each cycle. And of
> course the Ubuntu GNOME Remix really wants to ship the latest GNOME
> without all this heavy patching.
Right, designers got a bit better about that and they engaged with
upstream this cycle, some of things they wanted got changed upstream in
GNOME 3.6 in return so hopefully it goes better next cycle.

> Related questions
> Will Ubuntu be taking the GNOME language and printers panels now?
That's the plan, I sent topic emails about those ;-)

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher