[Desktop13.04-Topic] Integrate a Paper Cuts toolbelt into ubuntu-dev-tools

Chris Wilson notgary at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 25 13:00:58 UTC 2012

> Presumably the user already has the application in question open, so it
> would be simpler to allow them to point to an open window and have the
> reporting program work out the package from that.

Now that does sound like a good idea. Do you if there's anything in GTK
that can extract meta data from a window simply by clicking on it, or
anything along those lines?

> With that in mind, couldn't this be implemented as a command-line option
> to ubuntu-bug to cause it to send a reduced set of information and do
> the paper-cut-specific stuff, plus if necessary an additional graphical
> utility to deal with application selection?  It could then live in
> apport rather than needing a new package, and we won't need to dilute
> the message about using ubuntu-bug to report bugs.

"ubuntu-bug --papercut rhythmbox" would work well for our needs. We could
bundle the GUI app into another package, perhaps ubuntu-dev-tools-extra.
How does that sound?

Chris