[Desktop13.04-Topic] GNOME plans review

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 17 08:08:01 UTC 2012

Le 16/10/2012 23:24, Robert Ancell a écrit :
> In conclusion I don't think we have anything to be worried about with
> GNOME OS at this point and by the time it did matter we may be
> sufficiently different anyway that it doesn't matter.
Seems like "GNOME OS" is managing to get any discussion off-track, I
shouldn't have used it there :p

My point is mostly "GNOME consider they should focus on their product on
not downstream issues". I've heard speakers at GUADEC saying that GNOME
shouldn't do compromises or efforts for distributors but that things
should be the other way around ... distributors should make efforts for
GNOME since their role is to distribute what upstream is doing.

It's a fair statement but also a reality that shows, GNOME is less
wanting to make efforts to accommodate distributors that it used to be
(see how they manage transitions or hard/optional depends compared to
how those were dealt with in the GNOME2 times)

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher