[Desktop13.04-Topic] GNOME plans review

Robert Bruce Park robert.park at canonical.com
Tue Oct 16 18:14:39 UTC 2012

On 12-10-16 05:47 AM, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> - GNOME started to focus on "GNOME OS" and give less importance to what
> distributors think or do. It's a fair choice, they think they should
> better focus on building the best system they can do and should not
> compromise to "accommodate" others. I'm not even sure they see
> distributors as partners or if they just aim at deprecating those by
> shipping GNOME OS directly...

Whoa whoa whoa... I never hear about Fedora or SuSE having these clashes
with GNOME. Are you sure the problem is really with GNOME and not with
us? Maybe this problem isn't "GNOME doesn't cooperate with
distributions" but rather "Canonical doesn't cooperate with GNOME."

Just a thought. I would like to see better cooperation, personally ;-)

Also, last I heard, 'GNOME OS' is not intended to obsolete distros, it
is intended to obsolete jhbuild as a way for developers to hack on the
absolute-cutting-edge-git-snapshots of GNOME.