Fixing 'unity --reset'

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 16 05:51:19 UTC 2012

Le 15/10/2012 22:14, Jorge O. Castro a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> Some changes to unity this cycle means that "unity --reset" doesn't
> work. Didrocks sort of explained what needed to happen to make it work
> and J Phani Mahesh stepped up to the plate taking a stab at it.
>
> - https://bitbucket.org/jpmahesh/unity-reset/src/00e73b345dae/reset-gio.py?at=master
>
> Some things here:
>
> - It needs to be tested more widely.
> - Someone needs to integrate it into Unity at some point once we know
> it works so people can do "unity --reset".
>
> Thanks J Phani for this contribution!

Hey, Thanks J Phani for this contribution!
As explained to Jorge on IRC yesterday, still some work is needed to
integrate it into ubuntu:

It would be better to use the python gobject gsettings binding rather
than calling subprocess for gsettings reset directly. Also, not having
the list hard-coded by detecting which schemas are installed on the
system: otherwise, gsettings might fail if you reset a schema which
isn't installed, and you can miss some if you don't reset extra plugins
not part of the default install. (And the default list can also change
over releases).

Cheers,
Didier