[Desktop 13.04-Topic] Discussing PS-related product processes

Micah Gersten micahg at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 15 15:20:04 UTC 2012

On 10/15/2012 02:43 AM, Didier Roche wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> as you probably know already, PS is our upstream for a lot of desktop
> components nowadays (Unity, compiz, webapps, indicators, multi touch
> stack...).
> The past cycle has been a real ride in term of features, which spawn
> the release team, translation team and documentation team with
> FFe/UIFe. We need to discuss a way to ease the process in both ways
> with all involved parts.
>
> Seeing the importance of those components on our stack today, I think
> for instance that having a standing FF/UIF exception as we have for
> GNOME components in ubuntu will make sense. However, the counter-part
> will be that PS will work on getting things landing only when they are
> ready, to avoid further and further refinements (and additional
> documentation changes) as we had in the past just to "match the date
> gate". So this one can clearly be a win-win situation.

AIUI, GNOME only has a MicroRelease exception, not a standing FF/UIF
exception.  If Feature Freeze were targeted for Features, then there are
about 2 months left in the cycle to clean up any bugs.  Also, the time
between Feature Freezes is about 6 months, so if their schedule were
adjusted to focus on Feature Freeze instead of the release date, you'd
still get about 6 months of feature work into the release (it also means
you get 2 months of polish as well).  Obviously, if something slips,
there's still the exception process, but that should be the exception,
not the rule.

Thanks,
Micah