[Desktop13.04-Topic] Stop relying on GNOME fallback code for unity

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 13 10:58:50 UTC 2012

Le 13/10/2012 01:31, Jeremy Bicha a écrit :
> I'm also worried that the list will be too long and the Ubuntu Desktop
> Team will decide to stick with
> gnome-control-center/gnome-settings-daemon 3.6 so that the work can be
> stretched out over two cycles.
Hey,

Let's see at UDS but I've mentioned at several occasion on lists and IRC
that I think we should stay on the stable GNOME cycle starting next
cycle and I'm going to push for that. We need to know what is going to
change during the cycle at UDS to schedule work and that's not possible
with GNOME nowadays (you can see the number of examples in 3.6:
nautilus, keyboard, gstreamer ... not to mention half those are not
doable in one cycle and GNOME stable ends up with regressions, which
might be ok for them but is not for us).

Doing the whole GNOME stack update every 3 weeks and dealing with build
issues and regressions it creates is also a time sink (look at how hard
it has been to try to get a working webkit version this cycle...), I
think it would be better for Ubuntu and our users to focus on stability
rather and to be able to plan at the start of the cycle what we will
have to do

---
Sebastien Bacher