[Desktop13.04-Topic] Mobile IPv6

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre mathieu-tl at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 12 16:28:25 UTC 2012

HI all,

IPv6 is becoming more important everywhere, now what there are no
longer "free" IPv4 addresses available.

That includes supporting IPv6 on mobile broadband (3G/4G modems).

There is also some interest from mobile providers in having their
systems and devices work properly on Ubuntu, so we should spend time
discussing the implications of such work, how it can tie in to Ubuntu
on smartphones, tablets, or even TV, etc.

ModemManager currently doesn't quite support IPv6 for mobile broadband
so easily (although there has been recent work on it [1]). Workarounds
exist, wvdial works properly with some configuration.

What can we do to make this totally transparent to users, and make
sure their mobile ISPs work properly with dual IPv6 before they
actually make the switch to it?

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/log/?qt=grep&q=ipv6

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu-tl at ubuntu.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl at gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93