New "Additional Drivers" location not discoverable

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 21 16:13:16 UTC 2012

On 21 November 2012 10:39, Brandon Watkins <bwat47 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've seen quite a few new ubuntu users having a lot of trouble finding the
> correct place to install proprietary drivers in ubuntu 12.10, since it was
> moved into software sources.
>
> "Software Sources" doesn't really mean anything to a novice user and they do
> not think to look there to install their proprietary drivers.
>
> When they can't find how to install their drivers via the gui, they google,
> find some outdated commandline instructions,  bork their system, and then
> complain how hard it is to install drivers in ubuntu.
>
> It should somehow be made more obvious and discoverable where to get
> nvidia/ati drivers.

One solution would be that we just add Keywords as "breadcrumbs" when
we move functionality or rename something. That may even be
backportable to 12.10. Although it would technically be new strings,
those new strings are only used for searching and aren't really
user-visible.

There's still the bigger question of whether configuring drivers
should be in "Software Sources".

Jeremy