Experimental files lens

Richard Brown rgbrown at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 19:52:29 UTC 2012

On 06/03/12 02:21, Michal Hruby wrote:
> some of you might have noticed that there's a special version of
> unity-lens-files in the ubuntu desktop PPA (ppa:ubuntu-desktop/ppa),
> which augments the search results provided by Zeitgeist with results
> obtained by invoking locate.
>
> Please check it out and let us know what you think about it (testing on
> low-end hardware particularly welcome).
I've been using this for the last few days, and for me it has made *the*
difference between using the files lens in my workflow and not.

I'll give you my main use case: I'm an academic, and have a library of
thousands of papers on my computer, each with the author name, year,
title in the filename. The limited zeitgeist-only behaviour made
searching for papers in the files lens a waste of time as I wouldn't
necessarily have opened them since e.g. installing 12.04, but now being
able to hit super, type in an author name and see all of their papers
displayed instantaneously is fantastic. I've hoped for this feature a
long time.