Shortcut keys F1,F2,F3,F4 and overall

Michael Hall mhall119 at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 1 23:03:38 UTC 2012

On 03/01/2012 05:42 PM, Petko wrote:
> Hey guys , I recently came to the conclusion that the *Function* keys
> ,that are most accessible aren't really utilized .

Keep in mind also that there are likely applications using these keys
for application-specific purposes.  I'm of the opinion that any
system-wide shortcuts should involve a modifier key.  I really like how
Unity is coalescing around the use of super, personally.

> F4 - how has no one made F4 default for closing windows just boggles my
> mind - why twist your hand to press alt , when F4 can't possibly have a
> better use .

Because reaching too high when aiming for '4' should never close what
you're working on and potentially cause a loss of work.

> Second point of discussion (the "and overall" part of the thread) : I
> need some response from developers: If I create a wiki page in Ubuntu
> dedicated to discussing default settings (because I think there's much
> room for improvement) , would its contents be taken into account . The
> idea is that a whiteboard is needed to discuss this topic (there's too
> many details for a mailing list in my opinion) , and I'm convinced that
> the topic should have a centralized resource (so there's no repeated
> discussions , and people can pick up where others left off ) .

The wiki isn't really conducive of back and forth conversation.  It can
be used to store the "work in progress" as the exact details are worked
out, but the conversation itself would be better off in the forums or
IRC.  Brainstorm might also be a better place for this whole thing until
there is some agreement on it.

Michael Hall
mhall119 at ubuntu.com