Accessibility always on in GNOME 3.6.

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 22 10:26:12 UTC 2012

Le 22/06/2012 09:25, Sebastien Bacher a écrit :
> Le 22/06/2012 00:52, Luke Yelavich a écrit :
>>
>> I welcome further thoughts and discussion. If we decide to carry
>> these changes from upstream, I'll make sure relevant patches are sent
>> to our own projects, unity et al to work with these new changes, and
>> will make sure to have the new atk-bridge library available ASAP when
>> it is released, since GTK and GNOME shell will depend on it.
>>

> Hey,
>
> So I've read the bug upstream and I'm not sure how they are addressing
> the performances concerns, is the bottom line there "gtk3 has no
> performance issues, a11y will not be turned on for gtk2 but only for
> gtk3"? If that's the case, what does it mean for gtk2 applications? Do
> we get part of the desktop accessible and some other parts not? Do
> firefox and libreoffice use enough gtk to rely on the a11y to be
> turned on in gtk2 to be accessible in an usable way?
>
> Out of those questions I'm fine with follow upstream's lead there, we
> should just make sure it lands early so we have time to test and have
> a plan B to disable it again by default if that turns out creating too
> much issues.

Hey,

The choice to enable or not accessibility has provided us the benefit to
change user session (knowing that unity 3D a11y support is not as good
as unity 2D one).
There is high chance that this will stay this way this cycle. How would
you see then how the user being aware about the fact that he should
switch his session on that case, meaning that if accessibility support
is really needed, switching to unity 2D?

Cheers,
Didier