It's time to jettison CCSM

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 27 10:40:47 UTC 2012

Le 27/01/2012 11:12, Sean McNamara a écrit :

> that prevent installation of CCSM alongside Unity. Why prevent people
> using Xfce, LXDE, Mate, etc. from using CCSM, when it's far less buggy
> when it's not interacting in destructive ways with Unity?
Dropping ccsm doesn't prevent anybody to use xfce, lxde or anything
else, and no ccsm is not less buggy out of unity, the issue is that it
exposes lot of buggy options that users wouldn't know about and try to
tweak if they were not there. Users do try those options, report bugs,
and the compiz buglist is so spammed about corner cases and broken
options that it's making working on compiz bugs or figuring real issues
hards.
> Removing it from the archive does not seem like the Ubuntu way at all.
> Rather, I can practically guarantee you that there will be a huge
> rallying cry in the power user community that removing it was unfair
> and poorly thought-out, and that this outcry will spread to regular
> users who don't understand the situation in the first place.
Well, maybe we should stop favourite vocal minorities over the rest of
the userbase? Sure those users will do extra noise, but at the end 95%
of the users would be glad to have a better maintained compiz with extra
stability.
> users and suffers publicity setbacks. Especially for an LTS, I just
> can't get my mind around how this makes any sense at all, particularly
> for distros like Xubuntu and Lubuntu where compiz can spruce up an
> otherwise spartan desktop. OTOH, if you just make it so that apt and
> dpkg won't permit installing CCSM when Unity is installed,

Those derivatives don't use compiz and the issue is not specific to unity.
> compared to "Ubuntu is ignoring the needs of their users" (this latter
> one WILL come up on very popular websites if CCSM is removed from the
> archive).

That's your view, most people out there don't care about online rants
but care about having a computer they can use.

--
Sebastien Bacher