It's time to jettison CCSM

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 27 02:10:07 UTC 2012

On 26 January 2012 19:57, Mathieu Comandon <strycore at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I strongly disagree on removing CCSM from the repos but more importantly I
> want to make a point clear in this message. Deleting software from the
> archive has never been the solution to fixing bugs and I can't see how it
> will ever be.

Actually, deleting broken software from the repositories fixes all
sorts of bugs. Look at the bug reports closed in January:
http://ftp-master.debian.org/removals.txt

If something is badly broken and unlikely to be fixed soon, it should
be removed. It can always be added back later. The question is how
badly broken is CCSM? I don't want to recommend CCSM to my friends and
I do wish it were used a lot less because it does have issues. Does it
have to be removed from the normal repositories to be used less and
recommended less? I don't know...

Jeremy