It's time to jettison CCSM

David Klasinc bigwhale at lubica.net
Fri Jan 27 00:06:41 UTC 2012

Is it better to have no tool at all or a tool that breaks time to time
and blows up the whole house?

Why I use CCSM:

- to fix positions of some windows (I want Xchat on second screen, first
desktop, Thunderbird on my second desktop, ...).
- to tell compiz to display size info while windows are resized.
- to tell compiz to open my windows on the same screen where my mouse
cursor is.
- to tell Unity that I want 32px icons in the Launcher

Does it crash? Sometimes. Kills Unity? Most of the time when it crashes.
And it is very annoying. But I keep using it.

However, I do agree with Jorge. Keeping CCSM in LTS is a terrible idea
from quality perspective. What happens in LTS, stays in LTS.

Someone will make a PPA and those who want will still use it. Myself
probably included.

Regards,
David