It's time to jettison CCSM

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 17:26:09 UTC 2012

On 26. jan. 2012 17:28, Jorge O. Castro wrote:
> With tools like MyUnity now in universe, and didrocks putting basic
> configuration in the control panel I'd like to propose the removal of
> compizconfig-settingsmanager.
>
> I don't mean "stop telling people to use it" or "add a warning", I
> mean total removal from the archive until the tool is either better
> tested or doesn't break people's configuration. Here are some of the
> problems with the tool.

I am opposed to that kind of enforcement. I think the best way to handle
these kinds of situations in general, is by creating better alternatives
and then educating the users.

However, an acceptable compromise would be to remove Unity from ccsm.
Since Unity currently seems to be the main attraction to ccsm, this
might solve the problem without creating any problems for other Compiz
users.

That's my tuppece.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad