It's time to jettison CCSM

Alan Bell alanbell at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 26 16:48:47 UTC 2012

On 26/01/12 16:28, Jorge O. Castro wrote:
> With tools like MyUnity now in universe, and didrocks putting basic
> configuration in the control panel I'd like to propose the removal of
> compizconfig-settingsmanager.
>
> I don't mean "stop telling people to use it" or "add a warning", I
> mean total removal from the archive until the tool is either better
> tested or doesn't break people's configuration. Here are some of the
> problems with the tool.
>
> - It's possible to accidentally uncheck the Unity plugin, breaking the
> user's desktop.
> - It has a load of checkboxes for plugins that we don't support,
> allowing infinite combinations of untested options, which result in
> either a broken desktop or a misconfigured one.
> - People report these bugs, and instead of fixing real bugs we have to
> deal with corner case bugs for things we never plan on supporting.
> - Since it's settings are separate from Unity a "unity --reset"
> doesn't fix it, you have to blow away .compiz or some other dotfile
> directories to get a desktop back.
> - Alex Chiang has documented some of the issues he's run into here:
> http://askubuntu.com/a/80590/235
> - I'm sure at UDS you've seen didrocks show you one of the ways it
> breaks even when using parts of it that shouldn't break.
>
> MyUnity is a better user-facing tool anyway for those that want to
> play, it would be a shame to have the ccsm tool ship in an LTS. If
> anyone cares about it they can plop it in a PPA.

OK, so:

How do we turn on and configure compiz enhanced zoom for visually
impaired users? (turning it on by default would be cool,
super+mousewheel to activate and mouse polling set to 15ms please) we
have some text cursor tracking arriving for this soon too.

How do we turn on the negative and color filter and
opacity/brightness/saturation plugins for users who like to use them or
for application developers to test applications to see how they would be
perceived by colorblind users?

How do we turn on a different switcher for people who can't get their
heads round the unity application switcher (that would be me) and want
to use shift switcher or the default switcher?

ccsm has not crashed for me in precise, it was pretty horrible during
the oneiric cycle but works OK now.

Alan.

--
The Open Learning Centre is rebranding, find out about our new name and look at http://libertus.co.uk