CFT: ClickPad support

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Mon Feb 13 23:51:32 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 01:58:11PM -0800, Chase Douglas wrote:
> I've spent some time working on making "ClickPad" trackpads work better.
> I have put the end result up at ppa:chasedouglas/clickpad. I would like
> some testing feedback for the changes.
>
> In this context, a "ClickPad" is any touchpad with buttons integrated
> into the touch surface. This includes many variations of Synaptics
> trackpads and all the multitouch Apple trackpads. However, not all
> devices are detected as clickpads by the kernel, so you may need to
> manually override the clickpad detection.
>
> I have attached two scripts. The first enables clickpad support, and the
> second enables a "right button area" in the lower right corner of the
> trackpad. The 'right button area" should overlap with the right button
> area painted on some ClickPads. You are free to enable or disable it as
> you wish.
>
> The scripts require the device name or id as the first argument. You can
> query the device name and id by running "xinput list".
>
> So what does this do?
>
> * You can now perform click-and-drag with two separate fingers
> * With the right button area enabled, a button press in the area will
>   fire a right button press instead of a left button press
> * Click actions are possible, but they are an advanced feature I don't
>   want to support yet by detailing them here
>
> If we get good feedback on this, then I would like to push it into
> Precise. I also want to add a checkbox to the mouse settings preferences
> to enable the right button area too.
>
> Thanks for testing!
>
> -- Chase

Tested on my dell mini netbook.

Doubletap on the right button area functions as a right click.  It seems
to work as I'd expect.  Single-tap on the main pad area appears to work
as single left click (and double-tap here works as double left click).
Single-tap on the left button area doesn't appear to do anything.

Mouse movement does not work if two fingers are touching the pad.
Depressing the left button with one finger and moving the second will
initiate a drag action but the mouse pointer does not move; IOW drag and
drop is broken.  I could not get click-and-drag with two separate
fingers to function.

HTH,
Bryce