Why don't we use Mozilla ESR in Precise?

Alex Schoof alex.schoof at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 16:25:21 UTC 2012

Is the concern that high-severity patches wont be backported from Firefox
11 (or 12 or 13 or 14...)? We should be getting high-severity patches from
upstream through the ESR lifecycle (
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/)

People run their businesses on LTS releases. They need to know that if they
dump dev and ops time into building some custom line of business app
against an LTS release (think internal ticketing add-on for firefox), that
they're business-critical code isnt going to break because a new major
release of firefox came out and changed some internal API or something.

If we can GUARANTEE that the next 7 releases of Firefox (until the next
ESR) will ALL be backwards-compatible with no changes to web and add-on
APIs, etc, then I fully support always shipping the latest Firefox. On the
other hand, if we can't make that promise, then LTS should be shipping the
ESR release, which will be api-stable and get updates from upstream through
its lifecycle.

I feel like we're getting to a level with web apps that bumping the version
of the browser in an "enterprisy" LTS-type release would be like shipping a
new version of gcc or java mid-release, at best it makes people nervous, at
worst it causes outages.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex Schoof