Why don't we use Mozilla ESR in Precise?

Alex Schoof alex.schoof at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 14:00:13 UTC 2012

I disagree. If organizations (or individuals) want the latest and greatest,
then they'll upgrade their ubuntu every 6 months and get the newest
Firefox, unity, etc. The WHOLE POINT of an LTS release is that its a
consistent, predictable platform where things won't just change out from
under you.

If I'm an admin that rolls out 12.04 across my company, and make sure
everything works, maybe write some custom tools against it, certify
everything, and then one day while patching systems I see that the browser
just got its version bumped? With zero warning, and no way to prevent it,
my LTS systems all just had a major component jump by a major release. That
is not cool.

I think we either need to hold major versions fixed, or reevaluate what
"long term support " means.

Cheers,

Alex