Why don't we use Mozilla ESR in Precise?

Petko pditchev at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 11:23:37 UTC 2012

On 02/06/2012 12:14 PM, Viktor Basso wrote:
> On 02/06/2012 10:22 AM, Jason Warner wrote:
>> Hi All -
>>
>> Firefox ESR is indeed interesting, and it would seem to answer some
>> of the question corporations might have about Firefox, but I think it
>> is less interesting for Ubuntu.
>>
>> Firefox adopted a rapid release model for various reasons, but among
>> them was that they needed the browser to keep up with the pace of
>> innovation on the internet. Ubuntu needs to be out in front of these
>> things and be pushing the very edge of what is
>> possible, particularly in the browser. I do not think we can ship a
>> browser that will lag by 12 months in any sense; the risks too far
>> outweigh the rewards.
>>
>> I'm afraid that even a year lag (ESR update period) would put Ubuntu
>> at severe disadvantage to other platforms. Imagine a world where G+
>> or Facebook or some new whizbang product didn't work on Ubuntu
>> because the browser shipped didn't support some new
>> technology/javascript engine/platform component. That is neither
>> something we want nor can afford. We have to be better, we have to be
>> faster and we have to be braver.
>>
>> The browser is among the chief components of the desktop that needs
>> to keep pace (or better) and I feel adopting Firefox ESR would be the
>> wrong choice for Ubuntu desktop.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jason
>>

>> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad
>> <joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com <mailto:joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     In Precise we've upgraded to version 11 of both Firefox and
>>     Thunderbird. But the reason for starting to upgrade frequently
>>     was said to be that Mozillas support periods were limited for
>>     newer versions after 3.6. But now we have the 10ESR versions of
>>     both. Why are they not used instead of the short-term 11?
>>
>>     Thanks
>>
> I can agree that Ubuntu "needs to be out in front of these things".
> But I do not believe that the Long Term Support releases should.

+1 on that . That's the actual difference between LTS and regular
releases - that LTS provides a stable environment (which always costs
being aback on the latest technologies ) . So there's the choice -
stable&a bit otdated or changing&latest . LTS should provide the first
(say with the option to upgrade to the latest version from the
repositories) .