Remove unnecessary objects from the indicators (mainly messages indicator)

Petko pditchev at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 14:05:25 UTC 2012

On 02/05/2012 01:08 PM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
> On 01. feb. 2012 21:44, Petko wrote:
>> Right now there are way too many things on the messages indicator ,
>> and I'm only using mail :
>>
>> Messages:
>> >status changes
>> >..
>> >..
>> >..
>> >..
>> >Chat
>> >Evolution
>> >Broadcast
>> >mail
>> >mail
>> >mail
>> >Ubuntu One
>> >Clear
>>
>>  I wanted to start a discussion before filing it as a bug or idea .
>> Anyone with me ?
>>

> I can understand your point of view. But I think it's important to
> show people that the message menu is not simply an email notifier. Do
> you have any suggestions on how we can reduce the clutter in the
> menus, and still show users the things it supports?
>
> Jo-Erlend Schinstad

Well I say leave one entery per inactive service , so that they are
visible/configurable , but still don't interfere . For example when only
mail's active:

Messages:
 >Chat
 >Broadcast
 >Mail
 >Compose email
 >Contacts
 >Inbox(n)
 >Clear

When mail's inactive (I'm not really sure how that will be indicated but
still - here's the idea) - have it be minimalistic (to have only one
entery ">Mail" ) . When chat is configured - have it's features appear ,
and so on ..

And for Ubuntu One - I'm pretty sure its place isn't in the Messages menu .

Petko