Why don't we use Mozilla ESR in Precise?

Viktor Basso viktor at basso.cc
Sun Feb 5 06:26:31 UTC 2012

On 02/04/2012 02:51 PM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
> In Precise we've upgraded to version 11 of both Firefox and
> Thunderbird. But the reason for starting to upgrade frequently was
> said to be that Mozillas support periods were limited for newer
> versions after 3.6. But now we have the 10ESR versions of both. Why
> are they not used instead of the short-term 11?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jo-Erlend Schinstad

I agree, Firefox 10 is the initial Enterprise Support Release and will
be maintained for 9 release cycles with a 2 cycle overlap for the next
version.
That means the next ESR is not due until Firefox 17.

It is illogical to run non-ESR on LTS, unless you are Captain Kirk.

Double Thanks,

Viktor Basso
"Tea Earl Grey Hot"