[Unity-design] Fwd: What do we do with the file manager?

David Klasinc bigwhale at lubica.net
Fri Aug 10 05:16:29 UTC 2012

On 08/09/2012 06:15 PM, Sebastien Bacher wrote:

> I see 2 ways for this cycle:
> - spend the time to fix those 3 items at minima and figure what to do
> next at UDS
> - upload nautilus 3.4 to the archive, have both for one cycle (they will
> conflict but that's fine), default to 3.4, discuss what to do next at UDS
>
> The second one is a "safer" option imho, especially if nobody has time
> to work on fixing the issues listed previously.

Going from 'a half decently working' file manager to 'a less than half
decently working' one wouldn't be a step forward. Even if the latter has
the version number 3.6.

I'd go with the second option. This deep into the release there is
probably no way to make 3.6 an option for 12.10.

For the future, if there are people to spare, then it would probably be
the best to stick with Nautilus that is patched so it fits in with Unity
for at least a couple of cycles.

Then some other solution will be needed. It appears that Gnome will be
going in a completely different direction than Unity and maintaining
things just to keep it integrated will become more and more of a pain.

Regards,
David