[Unity-design] Fwd: What do we do with the file manager?

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 9 16:15:47 UTC 2012

Le 09/08/2012 17:05, Michael Terry a écrit :

> Picking one of the forks of 3.4 nautilus means that either we are the
> sole stewards or we will conflict with the existing maintainers over
> design goals (which sounds a lot like GNOME but with less manpower).
>
> I don't think we have the energies to own a whole file manager.  I
> vote we just ride along with GNOME on this one and patch it to fit
> better when running under Unity.
Hey Michael,

I agree with that mostly, I think we have some issues with 3.6 we need
to solve at minimum:
- we need to get our "desktop menu" (the one you get when you are on an
empty workspace) back
- we need to get the HUD working back with nautilus (we probably need to
figure a solution for all apps using gear-icon-popup-menus)
- we probably want a traditional menubar back, the gear menu and the app
menu just doesn't work well in Unity and is different from all our other
apps
- I'm not sure what to think about things like the dropping of compact
view or extra pane mode...

We at least need to solve the 3 first items and we should have an
opinion on the last one.

I see 2 ways for this cycle:
- spend the time to fix those 3 items at minima and figure what to do
next at UDS
- upload nautilus 3.4 to the archive, have both for one cycle (they will
conflict but that's fine), default to 3.4, discuss what to do next at UDS

The second one is a "safer" option imho, especially if nobody has time
to work on fixing the issues listed previously.

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher