[Desktop 12.10 Topic] Application startup time (AKA "Please use my RAM!")

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Sun Apr 22 08:36:35 UTC 2012

Le samedi 21 avril 2012 à 23:13 +0200, Jo-Erlend Schinstad a écrit :
> Application startup time is unnecessarily slow in a large number of
> instances. Can we see some improvement in that area in the Q cycle? The
> price of RAM has dropped dramatically, and usage has not increased all
> that much. Can't we use it for something when it's available?
>
> We now have Zeitgeist. This means we can know what users will do after
> login. It's possible to tell not only what applications will be started,
> but also what files will be used. In many cases, there's only a single
> human user in the system. I would really like it if I could set my work
> desktop to boot automatically in the morning, and it'd load my stuff
> into RAM while waiting for me to log in. There's also a few websites I
> always check first thing while I have my first cup of coffee. Load them
> too so I don't have to wait for it. I'm the only human user on my
> desktop, so why not log me in automatically, but in the background,
> keeping the login screen as it is?
>
> To my mind, these are all attainable goals:
>
> * Sub-second login
> * Instant loading of frequently used applications
> * Zero-delay access to most frequently used websites.
Looks like you're asking for something like suspend or hibernate to me.
What's the point in replicating features that do this perfectly? Better
spend your energy in fixing them if they don't work on your box.

FWIW, GNOME upstream considers suspending the normal way of stopping
your session - even to the point where it's very hard to reboot, which
is debatable...

My two cents