[Desktop12.10-Topic] Default application selection process

Shahar Or mightyiampresence at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 17:44:17 UTC 2012

On 3 April 2012 15:06, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> - what application we might want to drop from the CD, not because of bugs
> or quality but because the world changed and we think that's not useful
> anymore (i.e do we still need something to record audio CDs installed by
> default in a world where less and less people use CDs). That should also be
> an non troll-material discussion

Dear Sebastien, All,

This makes me think that since the optical drive is becoming less common,
as in netbooks, perhaps we should start looking at what the numbers
actually are. How many Installs are done from CD's? Home many Ubuntu
installs exist on systems where no CD drive is present vs. where it is
present.

I do sense that this will will not change so fast but perhaps because there
are so many installations that are done from USB sticks, then perhaps there
could be another image, one that has more software and is larger, for
example, one that fits a 1GB usb sticks.

Although I think that if we go that route then we can go for 2GB, at least,
because I rarely see less than that in a USB stick.

Thanks and Blessings,
Shahar