GNOME 3.4 packages in Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise Pangolin"

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 3 12:48:31 UTC 2012

Le 03/04/2012 14:40, Christian Hilberg a écrit :

> Hum, I was under the impression that the "GNOME3 Team" PPA was created
> exactly for that matter - to provide GNOME3 packages which do not make
> it into the current (in our case: Precise) distro version for various
> reasons and would be provided here "as is" for the adventurous.
Well, it's one thing to provide i.e a new gnome-shell, it's another
things to provide an e-d-s which change soname and would break installed
applications, ppa are not supposed to break your system...
I will let the people most active in the ppa (Jeremy and Rico) comment
about that, but my gut feeling is that if the ppa takes a new e-d-s it
should then deal with the transition and update all the rdepends that
needs an update, then track security updates etc for any of that
package, that's a lot of work.

> I've written to the ubuntu-desktop list since the GNOME3 PPA page [0]
> told me so - sorry if I created noise in the wrong place. Which will
> be the list to send my request to? Can you provide some pointers?

Hum, what makes you think it's the wrong list? No you got at the right
place there ;-)

--
Sebastien Bacher