[Desktop12.04-Topic] New CUPS filters package

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 20:07:55 UTC 2011

Blueprint:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-p-new-cups-filters-package

Mike Sweet intends to remove the filters which are not used by Mac OS X
from the CUPS upstream package:

http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3930

We have agreed on this on the last OpenPrinting Summit and the filters
will be continued and hosted by OpenPrinting. In addition, the filters
for the PDF printing workflow will not be adopted by CUPS but joined
with the CUPS filters we overtake.

All Linux distributions would have to include this new CUPS filters
package then to get CUPS continuing to work and have the same feature
set as before. Due to the fact that this package will use the PDF
workflow by default and that all major desktop applications send their
print jobs already in PDF, this will complete the implementation of PDF
as standard print job format in all distros (if they do not patch
against the PDF workflow). See also my updated web page:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/pdfasstandardprintjobformat

This will also clean our heavily patched CUPS package somewhat.

We need a name for this new upstream package. Should we call it simply
"cups-filters"? Or "op-cups-filters"? Or do we rename Foomatic to
openprinting and have the packages

- openprinting-db
- openprinting-db-nonfree
- openprinting-db-engine
- openprinting-rip
- openprinting-cups-filters

Note that we keep foomatic-rip/openprinting-rip separate from the CUPS
filters as this filter is a universal filter which also works with many
other printing systems.

Another decision to make is whether we really should maintain all the
filters which get over to us from CUPS or whether we should discontinue
some. The filter set will contain "imageto..." and "textto..." filters
which are not made use of by the usual desktop applications, they send
all PDF (and some send PostScript). Alternatively, these filters could
be made optional.

Usually these are decisions to be made by upstream, in this case
OpenPrinting, but in this session I want to have some pre-discussion
from the distribution point of view, so that when this new upstream
project gets created it will be created with the distro's needs in mind.

    Till