[Desktop12.04-Topic] Deeper Zeitgeist integration. Installation of datasources for default applications etc

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 19 15:20:11 UTC 2011

Le 19/10/2011 15:16, Manish Sinha a écrit :
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad
> <joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I don't think this is simply a technical issue. It's first and foremost a
>> design issue. When I have opened a file, then you can know that the file is
>> of some interest to me. The fact that I haven't open a file, doesn't prove
>> that it isn't interesting, but you just can't know. I regard Zeitgeist is a
>> logger that enables applications to learn from my actions, not as a general
>> indexer like Tracker. In order for the dash and lenses to be effective, I
>> think it should primarily display files I've shown some interest in.
>> Similarly, the web lens should only display sites I've actually visited, not
>> intermingle results from Google, since I haven't shown any interested in all
>> those other sites.
> I was suggesting that when you search for files, then the results from
> Zeitgeist would be retrieved and shown first as you have actively opened them
> at some point. The more times you open it, it's importance should increase and
> the dash should be able to take care of this fact.
>
> Files which have never been opened arn't rated on relevancy scale.
> They are just
> kind of files which show up because the user wants files which match this name.

Totally agree with that vision, that's how the revelancy of the query
should be IMHO.

I think that ignoring non opened filed on the system (or rather, not
known opened file, because you maybe opened a file on your usb key at
some point?) suggested as a solution for revelancy isn't right. For
instance, you can argue that zeitgeist should then forget about files
that I didn't open in the last 3 years? Why this file should then show
and not the one I created on a windows double boot, or just before
installing ubuntu (which can be only few weeks ago)? I guess that still
having the data is interesting, but of course, it will be shown way
after more relevant (and recently opened) ones.

Didier