[Desktop12.04-Topic] Deeper Zeitgeist integration. Installation of datasources for default applications etc

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 19 06:24:21 UTC 2011

Le 15/10/2011 20:39, Manish Sinha a écrit :
> Hello,

Hey Manish,

> Right now Ubuntu and esp Unity depends on zeitgeist for searches,
> recommendations etc.
>
> Right now only those events are logged by zeitgeist-datahub. It
> cannot log each and every user event. To increase the logging, there
> exists datasources which are plugins/addins for applications. For
> default applications datasources exists for tomboy, gedit, banshee,
> totem, firefox, empathy (telepathy) and eog. These datasources
> should also be shipped with Ubuntu.
>
> Datasources for thunderbird is in development. Datasources for
> transmission and shotwell don't exist. It needs to be done.

Yeah, this seem a right goal, it's part of things I tracked, but wasn't
considered a priority last cycle with all the other changes coming. Now,
it's maybe time to integrate them.

Now some questions:
- do you have automatic testsuite for them, running on different
versions of upstream projects?
- how do oyu work with firefox in particular, where we update the
released version through release life? We generally avoid shipping
plugins for this reason.
- can you elaborate on one of the major flaw of zeitgeist which seems a
bigger priority to me: when you plug an usb key, or have a
windows/ubuntu partition, as zeitgeist isn't a indexer, we can't see
them in the file lens in particularly. I know that Seif has a script for
that, but it doesn't seem to be suited for indexing and Mikkel has some
concerns about it. Can we put that on the table as one of the priority
for Precise?

> My proposal does not start and end with datasources. We should
> also include activity-log-manager in the default install. This
> application is a privacy and history manager. You can blacklist
> applications, set zeitgeist in incognito mode, erase history etc.

We discussed that this cycle already, and I think that it should really
be integrated in gnome-control-center rather than having another
capplet. Do you think it's possible?

> In case you don't know who am I. I work mostly on datasources
> for zeitgeist. Any more clarifications are invited

Excellent! I think that if those 4 items are addressed, datasources is
definitively something which will be great and real in Precise!
Thanks for your proposal,

Didier