[Desktop12.04-Topic] Color Management: Next Steps

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 22:10:41 UTC 2011

Blueprint:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-p-color-management-next-steps

In Oneiric we have introduced color management. We have at least basic
functionality now. You can take existing ICC profiles and assign them to
devices (AFAIK monitors, printers, scanners, webcams) and then the
devices are appropriately corrected. The profile assignments are done
via the Color capplet of GNOME Control Center, the management and
distribution of the profiles via colord, applications use liblcms1 and
liblcms2 to apply the ICC profiles.

In Precise we need to complete and improve the infrastructure: ArgyllCMS
needs to be made distro-ready and added so that color calibration
devices get supported, libcms1 needs to be replaced by libcms2, as the
former is buggy and not maintained any more, and a color management UI
must get added to the Common Print Dialog.

We also need to determine who will maintain the color management stack
in Ubuntu.

    Till