"Sound settings" changes for Precise

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Oct 18 20:26:34 UTC 2011

On 10/18/2011 04:29 PM, David Henningsson wrote:
> (Sorry if you get this message twice; it was suggested to bring this to
> the ubuntu-desktop mailinglist)
>
> Hi!
>
> The jack detection stuff I've been working with [1] during the Oneiric
> cycle is currently somewhat half-baked. What's missing is some UI
> changes to make this more user friendly.
>
> For me it's important to get this done during the Precise cycle, and
> preferably as early as possible to get some feedback. For me personally
> I consider this to be the second highest thing on my priority list (the
> highest one will always be taking care of HWE bugs when they come up)
> I'm happy to spend my cycles on it as necessary. I know a lot about
> PulseAudio and how that part is supposed to work, but I'm not a trained
> designer.
>
> As it stands, PulseAudio now provides sufficient information [2] for us
> to have the possibility to revamp the Sound Settings UI to make it more
> user friendly. This change was first discussed with Matthew Paul Thomas
> in June (IIRC), then Harry von Haaren - a summer worker - took on first
> making some mockups and later, started on an implementation. The
> implementation was never finished, and I'm not sure how much of it can
> be reused for "the real thing".
>
> Also, there is no reason as I see it to not trying to upstream it into
> GNOME. I don't know exactly how to do that or who to contact about it.
>
> We should definitely have a UDS session about this, but I'm not sure
> whether HWE or DX (or someone else) is the better driver here. So this
> is mostly an outreach to - hopefully! - relevant people to help me out
> to finish off jack detection and make it a success in Precise!

FYI, I have now filed:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/hwe-p-sound-settings-improvements

This might be a cross-team effort so I was quite unsure whether to start
with hwe- or desktop- or dx-. Hopefully it doesn't matter too much.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic