[Desktop12.04-Topic] GNOME Version for the LTS

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 17 17:55:33 UTC 2011

Le samedi 15 octobre 2011 à 14:46 -0400, Jeremy Bicha a écrit :
> 3.4.1. For instance, I think we likely want g-c-c 3.4. And if we
> delegate 3.3 to a PPA for "safe testing", then we won't get as many
> testers as having 3.3 in the main archives.

Right, if we decide that we want to update a component we should land it
early in the real distro and not in a ppa only.

One thing you didn't consider there is resources. Look at Oneirc, we
worked hard but we missed bits from GNOME 3.2 (new gdm, gnome-sushi
landed late and wouldn't have landed without you, we didn't get the new
webkit or epiphany-browser, etc). We can't say we did a great job to it.
The issue is that having to deal with updating 60 packages every 3 weeks
then dealing with the bugs from the unstable versions is enough work to
keep the team busy full time or almost during the cycle. So yes, GNOME
3.4 would be as stable as 3.2 we have today. But how stable will we get
GNOME 3.2 if we focus our team efforts fixing bugs during this months
rather than playing catchup on packaging unstable versions? We did that
during the natty cycle and we did fix a lot of bugs we didn't have time
to look during normal cycle. We need to look a performances as well and
to nail the integration issues from GNOME3 we still have and we don't
have really the resources to do that polish as well as dealing with the
work coming from rolling unstable updates

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher