[Desktop12.04-Topic] GNOME Version for the LTS

Michael Terry michael.terry at canonical.com
Thu Oct 13 14:08:00 UTC 2011

On 13/10/11 09:45, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Ok, discussing with desrt (upstream) on IRC, he says that it shouldn't
> be that much of an issue, the refactoring work is almost over and they
> have a good testsuit. He also said they would address issues as they
> come. We can probably have an updated package we can run to see how it
> goes before UDS.
>
> That would put us in a position where we can upload at least glib and
> gtk, then we need to figure what we do with GNOME 3.2 against 3.4. If we
> have an updated stack I would lean toward "stay on 3.2 by default", then
> we can maybe update selected components and use the ppa for other things

I am also pro-staying-on-3.2.  I think freeing the desktop team to focus
on bugs (including 3.4 backports if necessary), memory leaks, and polish
is appropriate for an LTS.

I think the GNOME 3.0 PPA worked well as a resource for developers of
GNOME itself and bleeding-edge users; so we can repeat that for 3.4.
But I think an increased stability focus is better for the
across-the-chasm users that prefer only-every-two-year LTS upgrades.

If we can be comfortable with new glib/gtk by UDS, then at least we
won't be holding back updates in universe packages during the cycle.

-mt