[Desktop12.04-Topic] Desktop sound theme,effects?

Jeremy Bicha jeremy at bicha.net
Tue Oct 11 20:07:41 UTC 2011

On 10 October 2011 05:08, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson [2011-10-08 19:32 +0200]:
>> >From a user experience perspective I think this is rather important. If
>> at all possible, I would suggest that Jeremy's
>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/libcanberra/ubuntu/revision/132
>> is uploaded in 11.10.
>
> IMHO "startup applications" is just about the last place I'd look for
> sound effects. The "audio" capplet in control-center seems close, and
> you can already select a warning noise there (although that's disabled
> for me right now). The tab says "sound effects", so perhaps we can add
> the GUI there?
>
> Though from my POV, no real need to put it back in the first place.

This is the documented way of disabling the login sound in Natty:
https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-help/session-loginsound.html

My patch would re-enable the first way; the second way was part of
gdmsetup which we didn't port to Oneiric.

It was also suggested in #ubuntu-desktop to just mute the alert volume
in Sound Settings, but I personally like all of the sound effects
except for the login sound. It could be argued that the login sound is
a "startup application" and I don't think shipping a completely empty
Startup Applications is much better than shipping it with only one
item.

Jeremy