[Desktop12.04-Topic] Wayland tech preview

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Sat Oct 8 00:17:01 UTC 2011

On 06/10/11 18:35, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 03:33:32PM +1100, Robert Ancell wrote:
>> It would be nice to be able to optionally run Wayland in 12.04 to try
>> out the technology.  This will involve:
>> - Modifying LightDM to support Wayland
>> - Writing a Wayland compositor
> Would the demo compositor be sufficient?  If not, what additional
> capabilities did you have in mind?
Don't know, I'd like to get all our Wayland expertise into one room at
UDS and work out how much work needs doing.  My goal is to have Wayland
as an easily enabled option in 12.04 for early adopters to try out so we
can get some real world feedback.  It would be fine for it not to work
for certain drivers for example, but we would need enough features
working for it to be usable for all the normal desktop tasks.