[Desktop12.04-Topic] Working VNC (or no VNC)

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 7 08:16:39 UTC 2011

Le jeudi 06 octobre 2011 à 17:17 -0700, Bryce Harrington a écrit :
> Ok, here's what I've learned.

Hey Bryce, thanks a lot for the work you did on that, it's good to know
where we really stand on the topic

> I was unable to test the workaround of enabling xdamage in vino, because
> that option appears to have been removed from gconf in oneiric.

It's in gsettings:
- dconf-editor -> desktop -> gnome -> remote-access
or
- gsettings set org.gnome.Vino remote-access disable-xdamage false

> So, my conclusion is that this seems to confirm the issue is a bug in
> fglrx and should be escalated to AMD for resolution.

Excellent ;-)

> Even if AMD is able to fix this swiftly, there isn't going to be time to
> roll out a new fglrx driver, and since binary drivers can't be SRU'd, we
> won't be able to fix this bug.  We should list it in the Release Notes,
> escalate to AMD, get it fixed in Precise and in x-updates.
>
> As to putting out a call for testing, I'll leave that to your discretion
> but don't think it's necessary.  Can't hurt, but I strongly suspect it's
> merely going to just confirm that it's broken only on fglrx and older
> nvidia.

I don't think it's necessary either, with some luck the ATI driver will
be fixed next cycle, I will watch for coming bugs in case something else
show up but it seems it works in most cases nowadays so no reason to
drop it

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher