[Desktop12.04-Topic] Working VNC (or no VNC)

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Fri Oct 7 00:17:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 06:46:10PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le mercredi 05 octobre 2011 à 12:41 -0700, Bryce Harrington a écrit :
>
> > But I think as a next action, I think I have all the hardware I need to
> > test it myself, so I'll try and do that today or tomorrow.  I would hate
> > to spin up a bunch of people to do testing if there really are obvious
> > breakages...
>
> Thanks Bryce!

Ok, here's what I've learned.

I can confirm the bug that on fglrx you can connect and get an initial
display of the desktop, but it never updates.  I tested this on oneiric.

I was unable to test the workaround of enabling xdamage in vino, because
that option appears to have been removed from gconf in oneiric.

On -nvidia, using the old nvidia-173 driver on natty, I also reproduced
the bug.

On the same system I switched to the nvidia-current driver (still on
natty), and it worked with no bug.

So, this all seems to confirm my hypothesis.  The issue existed for both
nvidia and fglrx, but NVIDIA fixed it (presumably as of version 256.25 -
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2255561).  Older
alternative nvidia drivers may still experience the bug, but not current
nvidia.

I tested -ati, -intel, and -nouveau on both natty and oneiric, and it
worked in all cases I tried.

So, my conclusion is that this seems to confirm the issue is a bug in
fglrx and should be escalated to AMD for resolution.

Even if AMD is able to fix this swiftly, there isn't going to be time to
roll out a new fglrx driver, and since binary drivers can't be SRU'd, we
won't be able to fix this bug.  We should list it in the Release Notes,
escalate to AMD, get it fixed in Precise and in x-updates.

As to putting out a call for testing, I'll leave that to your discretion
but don't think it's necessary.  Can't hurt, but I strongly suspect it's
merely going to just confirm that it's broken only on fglrx and older
nvidia.

Bryce