[Desktop12.04-Topic] Multi-screen setups

Dereck Wonnacott dereck at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 15:00:29 UTC 2011

I use a laptop with an external monitor on a daily basis, I've upgraded from
11.04 to 11.10 in hope of finding better multi-screen support but was quite
disappointed.

My laptop has an Nvidia card and I was not able to activate my external
monitor with unity 3D. [BUG 864784]  HOWEVER, Unity 2D is surprisingly
pleasant! I don't feel like I'm using second class software in the
slightest. In fact, I rarely notice that I am using unity 2D. It's terrific,
thank you guys!

I miss the window snap function on the shared edge of the screens. Snap only
seems to work on the far edges of the workspace.

I would REALLY like display hot-plugging to turn on my external monitor when
it's plugged in, but I've adjusted to using the nvidia-settings tool every
time I boot my laptop.

As for the questions posed by Bryce, here's my two cents as a user:

> * Should Unity be mirrored across the monitors?
I'd be much happier if unity reflected the application use on that screen.

> * Should expo appear on all monitors, but only show windows for the
> monitor it's displayed on?
yes!

> * Should the launcher be displayed on all monitors, and if so, how
> should it be shown with a mouse?
Perhaps as the mouse approaches the top left corner of the screen, it could
slide out much like how the the window snap works.

> * Should the dash, expo, spread view, etc, be displayed only on the
> monitor where the mouse pointer is, or a window has focused?
I think it makes the most sense to follow the mouse, rather than mirroring
on both screens.

~Dereck

“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.” -
Michelangelo