[Desktop12.04-Topic] Video playback?

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 5 06:16:56 UTC 2011

Le 05/10/2011 06:17, Robert Ancell a écrit On 05/10/11 10:07, Luke
Yelavich wrote:

>>> Banshee plays videos too. Banshee git just got DVD support so maybe we
>>> can use one app for music&  videos. Because it's new, DVDs probably
>>> don't work as well in Banshee yet but maybe it'll be fine once it gets
>>> more testing and use.
>> I am of the opinion that we should allow users to play back video separate to their media library, should they choose to do so. This is possible on OS X with Quicktime Player and iTunes. I know if I want to look at a video thats not in my library or from a podcast, its much easier to find the video in Nautilus and open with totem.
>>
>> Luke
>>
> It would be a big saving in CD size and complexity to have one
> audio/video playing application (like Banshee).  As long as it can run
> in a simple mode (much like Shotwell does for browsing photos) is can
> cover both the "managed" and "ad-hoc" use cases.  There's also some
> convergence going on with photos/music/videos that we need to think
> about for the future.

I'm not sure picking banshee as the default video player is the right
direction. There seem to have a lot of pushback from banshee as an audio
player already. People trying to use video have the same critics that
when they don't look the audio support: slow to start, confusing
interface and so on. I would be more in favor in KISS on the video
player (we can see that in new devices where the media player is always
very simple and have no complex UI). Even KDE is going this road:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kdemultimedia#Dragon_Player and the latest
QML version: http://apachelog.wordpress.com/2011/08/07/dragon-player-3/

I am by no mean suggesting that we should switch to another video/audio
player for LTS (that would be crazy), but maybe something to keep in
mind for the future if we can't upgrade Totem because of clutter.