[Desktop12.04-Topic] Video playback?

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 4 23:07:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 06:41:17AM EST, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On 4 October 2011 14:49, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > We probably don't want to switch video players in a lts cycle but not
> > sure if we should go with the new version (we staying on 3.0 which still
> > uses xv for Oneiric). Clutter-gst might introduce issues (vblank was
> > mentioning as a potential issue with compiz during this cycle when we
> > discussed it), not sure how much it got tested on i.e armel or how much
> > it could be an issue on some video drivers...
> >
> > Should we go for the new version and deal with issues or stay safe with
> > the old version using xv, or look for a different video player to use?
>
> Banshee plays videos too. Banshee git just got DVD support so maybe we
> can use one app for music & videos. Because it's new, DVDs probably
> don't work as well in Banshee yet but maybe it'll be fine once it gets
> more testing and use.

I am of the opinion that we should allow users to play back video separate to their media library, should they choose to do so. This is possible on OS X with Quicktime Player and iTunes. I know if I want to look at a video thats not in my library or from a podcast, its much easier to find the video in Nautilus and open with totem.

Luke