[Desktop12.04-Topic] Working VNC (or no VNC)

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Tue Oct 4 21:00:59 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 08:40:43PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That's a small topic but seems vino and compositing (i.e unity) don't
> work really fine together:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vino/+bug/772873
>
> Not sure if that's a driver issue, xorg, vino, other but the issue is
> not new and doesn't reflect nicely on Ubuntu, I think we should be
> honest about it and either care enough to make it work in most cases or
> drop vino from the default installation.

Interesting history of problems, but it appears to work in general, at
least for me:

  http://people.canonical.com/~bryce/Photos/vnc_unity.jpg

That is with two Intel graphics machines running natty, both running
unity (also tested unity+metacity and metacity+metacity) with one vnc'd
to another over a wireless network.

With unity on, display updates seem rather slow but it's still basically
usable.

Googling around, I found that at one point NVIDIA had to put out a fix
(http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2255561).  Pitti had
mentioned a couple months ago that this is an -fglrx specific issue,
which well could me; if that can be confirmed, we could just have
Alberto add it to the AMD bug escalation list for 12.04.  What do you
think?

Bryce