[Desktop12.04-Topic] Integrate language-selector to control center

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 4 10:41:22 UTC 2011

Sebastien Bacher [2011-10-04 11:24 +0200]:
> I think we should work on making the upstream "region" capplet do what
> we need and deprecate language-selector in its favor if we can ;-)

Big +1. language-selector is pretty horrible code, I'd love to get rid
of it. We will probably need to keep a distro specific bit like
check-language-support which will determine the missing i18n packages
based on the packages you already have installed. However, I'd like to
rewrite this script from scratch.

I'm not sure how to integrate it best, whether to implement it as part
of a distro specific "hook" in control-center (it probably will need
one to figure out which distro packages to install for a newly added
language), or whether it should become a method of accountsservice
(although that sounds like an abuse to me).

Rodrigo probably has the best idea of where to put it?

Thanks,

Martin